Makeup & Music - An Interview

3:52:00 PM



Back in September I had the pleasure of working on set with musician Tabitha Booth and photographer Tom Tedesco. It was a beautiful overcast morning and the photography showcases the raw earthy grunge look we were going for perfectly.


Below is my interview with Tabitha on her relationship of performance/music and makeup.

Is makeup an important aspect of performance for you?

Makeup is like warpaint, a battle cry of, "This is the version of myself you will meet." As a performer, I present something to the audience that is engaging and oftentimes this includes makeup. Honestly, I never play a show without mascara. I like the cat eye.


If you could wear only one product ( mascara, lipstick, etc.) for a performance what would it be and why?

Mascara is the bare minimum for a performance because I want to see the eye pop. My songs come from my soul and as they say, our eyes are the windows. I want to be sure people can see in and undoubtedly know that I am singing for whomever needs to hear the songs. Plus, when the lights go on, some facial contrast is lost in the reflection and makeup should be a little heavy. If I have mascara on, I look natural and not washed out.


How does makeup make you feel? 

Makeup to me truly is a warrior symbol. It is one of the earliest forms of self-expression. Dainty, daring, darling, ghostly, mystical, chic... makeup makes me feel empowered to invent myself, or reinvent with subtlety, and walk as an artist. My face is my canvas where I can paint the emotion of choice.



For me, I love that makeup can be playful and used to set moods/feelings... I feel like music does the same thing. Do you feel the two affect one another?

Setting the mood is something that shows up in events, paintings, theatre especially, Interior Design... definitely Music. I feel much different when I perform with makeup or without. It is like wearing a mask that says, I am ready to bring to you what I have to offer. I am confident. It helps me to know that I can ask myself the question (or not!) about how I will design the mood both visually and musically. I know I want to be an example of depth and for my audience to feel something they can take with them. Besides, if they are going to look, give them a show.


What was your first memory of makeup?

Sadly, my first memory of makeup is the relief to hide my teenage acne. My mother offered a makeup order for Easter to my sister and myself and all I remember thinking is, “Good, maybe now I can cover up my face.” The only problem is that it blew out of proportion my perspective of “good looks” and I became very insecure. Needless to say, I got good at drawing the cat-eye and I can finally appreciate my own natural beauty.


Is long wearing makeup important for you for performing?

I certainly refresh my makeup before a show. After hours of wearing day makeup, it is important to look and feel ready. A calm makeup remover, fresh foundation and mascara do wonders. The longer lasting, the better.

..............................................................................................................................................................


I couldn't agree with you more Tabitha on how your face is a canvas. Makeup is my favorite form of self expression. It's creative, personal, and fun. It has evolved but has been around for the same reasons, the presentation of one's self.

What are your thoughts on makeup and performance? I think everyday life can also be seen as a performance whether you take it on "naked" or with some red lipstick.

Tabitha Booth can be found on Instagram - @tabithaboothmusic
Tom Tedesco can be found on Instagram - @lookphotographs and Tom Tedesco Photography on Facebook

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe