Lighting in a Compact

6:46:00 PM



"I learned early on how different types of light can truly flatter the complexion. Growing up, my mother had pink light bulbs in all of the lamps throughout the house. She loved pink light because it was the softest and most flattering, and she always wanted to look good. I used this concept of lighting in Ambient Light Powder." - Carisa Janes, Hourglass Founder

Ms. Janes, these powders are gorgeous and I love the story behind them.  I love powder and anything that will help me glow so I was so happy to add these to my collection. They retail at $45 a pop which I do find to be a bit much even for how great they are. You can find them at Sephora.com.

I found these powders by watching one of Jaclyn Hill's videos on Youtube a few weeks ago. It all started with Diffused Light, a pale warm yellow with a slight pearl sheen. I thought this one would be perfect for neutralizing some redness that occurs on my pale skin and I was right. It also doesn't turn too yellow on my skin and leave a strange cast either. With my skin tone I am in the middle of pink and yellow so it is hard sometimes finding the right undertones in products. This powder worked wonderfully for a subtle fix.

Then I decided to order Ethereal Light (a opal cool white shade) and Dim Light (a neutral peach). They did not disappoint either! Ethereal Light is supposed to be a great brightener for paler skin tones and I have to agree it leaves a bright finish over my foundation. Dim light is great for warming up my skin with neutral peach tones.

Finally, I saw the limited edition holiday palette on Sephora and had to have it plus I decided Mood Light would be a great addition as well. :) Can you tell I am obsessed? I just received these two today so I have not played with them too much but Mood Light looks like it will be a pretty blush color. It has a mix of rosy pink and lavender. The limited edition palette has Dim Light (which I already own). Incandescent Light is the middle shade and is a new addition to the collection. It is so pretty! It is a little similar to Ethereal Light but Incandescent has much more radiance where Ethereal is more pearl. Incandescent has a radiance on the pink side as you can see in the swatches below. The final shade in the palette is Radiant Light which is a permanent shade but one that I did not own yet on its own. I am excited to try this one out for a different take on bronzer so we will see how that goes. From the swatch I think it will be really nice for adding color year round without being too dark. Another idea for the more color packed shades is to use them as an eyeshadow.

For those of you who like your powders on the matte side I don't think you will like Radiant Light or Incandescent Light as they have the most radiance (or soft sparkle) out of the collection.

I have yet to try the last one in the permanent collection, Luminous Light (a champagne pearl) but I have a feeling I will be either adding it to a Christmas List or splurging again soon. ;)

Ethereal Light
Diffused Light

Dim Light

Mood Light
These can be used as highlighters, blushes, or an overall face powder. I like to use them all over my face because I love a glow and I'm not afraid of the "sparkle". But don't get scared, there is no glitter here, just radiance. They remind me of one of those old vanity mirrors my grandmother has with the different light settings. I always loved seeing how I looked in the outdoor light, indoor light, office light, etc. so this was an exciting find for me. I hope you can try at least one of these out. I think the majority of them can be used on all skin tones with the exception of Ethereal and Diffused Light because I feel that on a deep skin tone they will be too light and come out chalky.



Limited Edition Holiday Palette - Dim Light, Incandescent Light, & Radiant Light

indoor / sunlight - Diffused, Dim, Ethereal, Mood, Incandescent, & Radiant

natural bright indoor sunlight


xoxo

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. These look really cool! I'd love to try the pink/lavender one I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very pretty as a light blush! I used it today. I think I might try it as a full face powder also to see how it looks.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe